TCH Review: Kammok Wallaby single camping hammock
- Light, comfortable and durable
- High quality design and construction
- Wide range of colors
- Easy to setup
- 1% for the Planet company
- Lifetime warranty
We Don't Like
The Kammok Wallaby is the perfect hammock for the solo adventurer. It handily fits in your pocket so it is always ready when you need it. But don't be fooled by the size and weight, the Wallaby is a sturdy and durable hammock. The construction and design reflects Kammok's continual commitment to the highest quality standards.
- PRODUCT FEATURES
- AMAZON REVIEWS
The Wallaby is not only Kammok's lightest camping hammock but one of the lightest on the market. The design features ultra-light and soft fabric. Made from 40D Diamond Ripstop and rated to hold 400 lbs, it's a high quality product. It also has reinforced stress points and high tensile strength thread. This hammock is easy to wash so should last through many years of high usage, whatever the adventure is.
Dimensions: 8.4ft long, 4.2ft wide
Strength: Recommended Maximum Load: 400 lbs
Suspension System: Straps not included. 2 Kanga Claws (23kN carabiners made from aerospace aluminum) and 2 Racer Slings
Weight: 0.64 lbs
Kammok has very clear business drivers: design, performance and giving back. They believe hammock camping is the new wave of camping and want their products to reflect that. When you buy a hammock from them you have an assurance that it will last and perform.
Founded by Greg McEvilly, Kammok have a very simple mission of designing technical and functional camping gear. The vision is to raise the standard of camping gear in every way possible. There products focus on clean design and made with high performance fabrics.
It is a company with a mission to equip and inspire life changing adventures and experiences. Driven by their core values of adventure, community, and love. With adventure you are able to see the world in a fresh perspective and be open to new experiences. Connecting with your community and being a good neighbour provides great rewards. Through love you open yourself and others to experience even greater adventures.
Kammok is proud to be a 1% planet company. This means they donate 1% of their revenue to nonprofit organisations. They are very active in this initiative and are investing in outdoor youth programs. When you buy a Kammok hammock you are also investing in youth developement. Explore Austin is Kammok's primary partner and in 2017 they agreed to a six-year-long commitment. This will allow the organisation to achieve it's goals of helping young people make positive life choices.
Among the hammocks on the market the Wallaby stands out for a number reasons. It is a fantastic lightweight so takes up barely any room in your backpack. The fabric is breathable, fade and water resistant and has less stretch than other hammocks. Also the suspension system includes patented mini kanga claw carabiner, racer slings and 8 integrated gear loops.
- Light, comfortable and durable - so light you can take this hammock anywhere, anytime. The Gravitas ripstop nylon fabric is strong and feels good on your skin.
- High quality design and construction - All Kammok products reflects the company's philosophy.
- Wide range of colors - A choice of seven colors available to choose from.
- Easy to setup - Pair the Wallaby with the tree friendly Kammok Python Suspension Straps for the easiest setup.
- 1% for the Planet company - Part of initiative that connects dollars and doers to accelerate smart environmental giving.
- Lifetime warranty - If your product becomes non-functioning or defective, Kammok will repair or replace it.
- More expensive than other single hammocks - We feel the Wallaby's price reflects the quality of the product but you can find many single hammocks under $60.
- Not ideal for tall people - The dimensions of the hammock are tight and anyone over 5'10' would not be very comfortable sleeping in it.
- No bug net or tarp - It doesn't come with a bug net which is included with many hammocks in this price range. You will also need a tarp if you want to be comfortable in wetter conditions. An under or top quilt for warmth may also be required to hold heat.
Kammok creates camping gear that is functional with high technical specifications. The company's strong belief in design, performance and giving back ensures you always receive high quality products.
In an ever growing competitive market there are pros and cons for purchasing any camping hammock. The best thing about the Kammok wallaby is it's obvious advantages. It is ultra lightweight, compact and portable. It takes up hardly any space so you store anywhere for you to use when you need it. Also it is very easy to setup with the kammok python straps.
The only drawback is that the Wallaby's size and weight means sacrificing a bit on comfort and space. If you are over 5'10" there are more comfortable hammocks available. But the small size does have many more pros meaning it can be used for everyday use as well as backpack and camping adventures.